Wednesday, June 18, 2008

New York is my muse

I was lazy and uninspired in Jozi. I felt there was nothing pushing me to be creative and write, although I am passionate about the cultural and social interactions of the city. But through watching and photographing and reading, I have so much to say about my own city. I have ideas lifted from the stuff I have encountered here. Stories can be re-contextualised and recreatedin my own setting. Stuff i have seen here has made methink about home and the potential to explore and discover parts of the city of Jo'burg.

I feel energised and have thought about my dreamsalot: Do a masters in Applied English Language, possibly get a teaching qualification - develop ideas aboutEnglish Education and Literacy.perhaps re-locate for a while (it would have to be where the literary culture is vibrant, and preferably be a multi-ultural city (london, Dublin (less so), new York, paris (Alliance Francais here we come!)And Jozi is not far off depending where you hang out (Braamfontein, Town, Newtown). And yes,pursue a passion in literary reporting and developments. I suppose I could also supplement an income too! I want to learn Zulu and library science ( so i couldknow what the hell is going on with Rural library developments and reading projects) and perhapsthrowin a photgraphy course along the way. And my lovely friend, veronique Tadjo, managed to get a Fulbright for the purposes of research- an idea and an avenue and somethingfor me towork towards. I would have to think of a good research topic and see how it translates into real change. Literacy issues from pre-school to tertiary education to teacher training and lack therof (where haveall the teachers gone?:Aids, better opportunities?- somethingto include for a holisitc understanding) are a problem.
oh- there is a cool project called keleketla! running in JOubert Park - something for further inspiration.

Blogs are terribly narcissitic and stream of consciousness!
Forgive me, but this is whatthe digital revolution has brought about - everyonehas a voice! Hail freedom of expression and democracy!

No comments: