Wednesday, June 18, 2008

NeW York Times

New York cannot but instill reflection.

So my life so far:
New York is not as vast as i thought, and I didn't get this sense of smallness or anonymity. I love it here. It is the literary,artistic and thought capital of the world (although this is a sweeping and hyperbolic statement). But there is so much going on, that I simply feel overwhlemed for choice. Every journalist would die and go to heaven - Caroline,Christopheer'sroom-mate works for the NY times and has interviewed fascinating types that wear polka dot braces and tortoise shell spectacles and have never been out of the city. Theyare fulfilled.

There are hundreds of exhibitions, rare films screenings, Shakespeare productions in Central PArk, The Children's ORchestra, and Deli's. In fact,the coffee is the Best I have EVER tasted, andcheap too. Books and music are cheap, and yet food is very expensive (but large!). In Jo'burg, I feel that there are many people wantingto make it big in finance. But even though Manhattan is hugely commercial, as many people are aspiring writers, film-makers and journos. There is no mainstream, and no sub-sets either. It seems ervyone is so different. I want to go out and buy polka dot braces and wear red lipstick!

Ofcourse, i am trained to deconstruct the scial climate and this is what i have observed( I am a "watcher")- Hispanicand ASian women are maids and nannies to white kids. They walk them in central park. I havetaken some photos. Blackpeople live in the kak areas like Harlem (and it is really kak- I got lost there on my way to Columbia).Thereare a lotof immigrants ( I saw an Ethiopian community) who epitomise the ANANSE figure - being creative in their quest for survival. There are no white train/bus/taxi drivers/sweepers/cleaners etc.

Every white person who lives in Manhattan has a dog. Many women are very beautiful and well-dressed and have small kids. People are rude, but some are lovely. Most people walk around with a tall latte,although are pretentiously health and eco wise.Vegans deluxe.

Thereare so many different people here and the city is ALIVE and diverse. This should be the pattern worldwide because although there are interesting social dynamics, there are still people shoved together of all sorts.

At the universities, activism is prolific - all the fashionable social causes - Darfur, black presidency, Palestine, Africa, Xenophobia, racism, women's rights (they call themselves the Feminazis!).

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Beth, just stumbled on this while playing on Facebook. I hadn't read your work before, and although these are just scattered entries, it's good to have confirmed that which I already believed: you know what you are doing, and will succeed.
Caroline.